Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blackouts F'n Blackouts.


Blackouts.  Every sports fan knows and hates them. But what are they, and why do the powers-that-be insist on having them, forever infuriating us loyal fans?
I came home today expecting to watch the the Laughs, sorry Leafs game via channelsurfing.net or ATDHE.net. However, good old Homeland Security has moved in and shut down the website, presumably saving us from some sort of terrorist attack committed by pirates.  ATDHE is trending on Twitter, so the situation has received a reasonable amount of attention. 
(For those of you wondering I am watching the Leafs game while I type this and the Panthers just scored. 1-1  ATDHE.me)
I took my dilemma to Twitter and got this reply...
@RogersSportsnet Rogers Sportsnet
@althewhite Unfortunately, the blackouts are restrictions that are placed on us by the NHL. Not our choice. http://ow.ly/3Ou9g


(The NHL has yet to get back to me on this, and frankly, I doubt they will.)
So I clicked the Link. It’s the NHL’s fault. No shit. But what exactly is a blackout and what are the reasons for having them? Let's check the internal webitory.


In broadcasting, a blackout is when certain programming, usually sports, cannot be televised in a certain media market.
The purpose is theoretically to generate more money by obliging certain actions from fans, either by making them buy tickets or watch other games on TV. While financially a logical procedure on the part of those providing the programming, blackouts are frequently unpopular with the affected audience as it will cause some fans to miss the game completely even if they were willing to enter the stadium and pay.

Okay, fair enough. Encourage fans to go see games, increase ticket and merchandising sales... but wait a minute. When was the last time Toronto had a hard time selling tickets? That doesn’t make any sense.  Let’s look further.

Unlike the policies governing professional football broadcasts, the National Hockey League has no blackout policy that is dependent on ticket sales...

But I thought blackouts where intended to increase ticket sales? If only people who are close enough to buy tickets and attend the games, are also the only ones who are allowed to watch a Tuesday night home game on TV, then what’s the point in blacking it out for the rest of the country?
What does the NHL have to say about this? Nothing, they only refer to blackout  regulations for their own Centre Ice package.
If you are located in a team's television territory and their local regional sports network is not available on your current cable or satellite provider, you will not be able to see these games in NHL CENTER ICE. This is a distribution issue between the regional sports network and the cable/satellite provider.

It does appear that Rogers Sportsnet is the only carrier in Canada that blackouts broadcasts  outside the region of origin. Meaning, if you want to watch a Leafs Game or a Canucks game,  on Rogers Sportsnet, you have to live in Toronto or Vancouver to watch it. Lame.

All I can imagine is that blackouts are there to encourage people to fork out extra dough for a NHL package. Blackouts could also be used to keep advertising profits down by keeping the ads local, and in theory I guess, more affordable to advertisers. There is no point for Bob’s Garage in Toronto to have his ad aired in Winnipeg--not that simulcasts are completely unheard of. But national advertisers buy space during these games, so I don't see what the problem is.
Again though, apparently it’s up to the NHL. Possibly there are some contractual agreements involving national broadcast exclusivity with CBC and TSN? Maybe. (I made those words up, I'm not a lawyer but it sounds plausible to me.)
Either way I’m still not happy about this, and I know many people are with me. I had hoped to find a reasonable answer to this but I just ended up with a headache. Since I have managed to find another pirate feed, I can’t say that I’m overly concerned anymore, Just confused. 
One day I’m going to write a strongly worded letter to these “powers-that-be” expressing my frustration at their ineptitude and enlightening the unpleasantness they are causing their loyal customers. 
If anyone has any other ideas as to why, or if there is something I am missing, feel free to enlighten me because I am out of ideas.  Third’s about to start 3-2 Leafs!
Go Leafs Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment